Camera choices 77d or 7d + 5d classic

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JG Frank New Member • Posts: 2
Camera choices 77d or 7d + 5d classic

Hi all,

New to the forum, trying to wrap my head around some choices for the different types of shooting I've been doing. I do wildlife and indoor gym shots and videos as promo material for the gym.

I've been shooting a lot of wildlife with a 55-250 efs, and  with a 50mm 1.8 stm and 24mm 2.8 for the gym with a crop sensor t5i and am looking to upgrade. I have sold the t5i and am looking to upgrade and have a budget of about $650.

So I have to completely opposite needs out of the camera. For the wildlife, I am thinking that I want to stay crop sensor for the longer reach per pixel at a given focal length.

For the gym, (a martial arts school) it's SUPER low light (think buhddist temple) and everything needs to be fairly wide. 50mm on the crop sensor is just on the ragged edge of being too long in the space that we have, but I use it most often because even at 1.8, I am still having to run my iso at 800 to 1600 with a shutter speed of 1/60, even underexposing a stop.

My original thought was to get a 5d classic to put the 50mm on for the gym and a 7d for the wildlife shots (mostly because of the weather sealing/frame rate and better autofocus compared to the t5i)

Now I see the 77d for 650 on b$h and Adorama. Cons: no weather sealing and I would have to deal with the 50mm until I can afford something like the sigma 30mm 1.4.

I had already ordered the 5d from keh, which I heve to send back anyhow, because the sensor is messed up with both horizontal and vertical banding, even at base iso.

The 7d is supposed to arrive today, but unless it just blows me away, I am tempted to return them both it and the 5d, get the 650 bucks back, buy the 77d and then save up for the sigma later. The Real sticking point is that I really think I want the weather sealing on the 7d.

Do you all think it's worth it? should I return them both and get the 77d? Thanks in advance for your input!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 700D (EOS Rebel T5i / EOS Kiss X7i) Canon EOS 77D / EOS 9000D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow