X-H1 and 100-400 at an airshow

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
92Diggers New Member • Posts: 14
X-H1 and 100-400 at an airshow

I thought I would share my experience of using the X-H1 with the 100-400mm lens at an air show, reveal my settings and a bit of the processing technique I used (along with a few photos).

This was my third visit to the Royal International Air Tattoo in Fairford (UK). My first trip was with the XT1 and 100-400 3 years ago when I was fairly new to photography. I managed to get a few in focus, sharp pictures I was happy with but hoped there was more to come.

Last year I upgraded to the XT2 and the focus tracking was a significant improvement.

This year I took my X-H1 and I am very happy with the AF-C tracking ability.

I tried using the 1.4TC but I foun the AF was too slow for this type of work, so I took it off.

I turned off the lens OIS for the fast jets but left it on for the prop planes. I have t say this lens is pretty much unusable beyond 300mm. It;s just too soft.

Shutter speed; 1/1600-1/2500 generally for the jets at f/5.6 (usually), adjusting ISO manually to get good exposure.

A mixture of 3x3 and 5x5 focus zone area. AF-C custom;

Tracking sensitivity 2

Speed tracking sensitivity 1

Zone area switching Center

Back button focus worked very well for tracking aircraft in flight, using a burst interval technique. Hold the button, allow it to attain focus, press the shutter a few times. Keep the focus button pressed and continue to track the aircraft and keep taking pictures.

I had quite a high keeper rate with this technique using these settings.

I shot in RAW and brought the photos into Lightroom with sharpening and NR turned off. Usually for landscapes, I would use Iridient X-Transformer but I didn't feel I needed to for these type of images.  I exported the images to Photoshop and sharpened there using Unsharp Mask of 25-50 with a radius of 1.

Back over to LR for further basic adjustments and maybe a small amount of additional sharpening if I thought it needed it plus NR of 10-30 and 20-30 for colour noise reduction, (I find you need to use the higher value you have lifted the shadows).

I hope someone has found this useful and you enjoy the photos below.

92Diggers's gear list:92Diggers's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
Fujifilm X-H1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow