AF-P DX 70-300 Zoom

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NewP510owner Regular Member • Posts: 199
AF-P DX 70-300 Zoom

Folks I have had this lens and used on my D5500  for a few months now, to be honest I am not all that impressed with it.

I will be fair and say - its not bad its light and focuses fast.

I guess I was hard on myself when I decided to go for it as after reading all the hype,  I was expecting it to be The best "Anything to 300mm lens" period, I expected it to much much better than the Tamron VC 70-300  and even better than the Old nikkor 300 f4 prime (none VR) version  as it was so old.

But the picture quality to my eyes is only ok,   more puple fringing than I have seen before on other lenses I have owned,  and not that easy to get rid of in post as it kind of eats into the detail of the object being shot.

Then there is the VR - it does not seem to be very good with tracking when following planes or birds in flight, I often notice it struggle to settle down in tracking situations,  dont get me wrong its great with stationary objects.

I only paid £144 for it New but a white box item hence the price,  I dont want to go down that annoying road of sending it back waiting weeks with no camera taking ability, till a replacement lens comes back to me.

Guess what I wondering what are my options regarding a better quality lens off the same range that wont break the bank  say less than £200.

I have to be honest im getting tired of all this chasing just to get a lens that works as it is supposed to.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow