Rediscovering the S120 in 2018

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Georgi Bonchev New Member • Posts: 20
Rediscovering the S120 in 2018

Here is a little back story. Back in 2014 I was on the fence between S110 and Olympus XZ-2. I chose the latter and I loved it in every way apart from every time I tried to put it in my pocket. Later I exchanged it for a relative's Canon 400D, upgraded it to SL1 and 77D after that, but always wanted something small to take with me when there was no room or will left for lugging around the DSLR. This year I was actively checking all the second hand sites in my area for S110 or S120 for months with no luck. Almost gave up and started checking RX100s, G7x and G9x, but all of them weren't perfect for me ... for their price. Luckily I found a listing for S120 right in my area two hours after it was published... almost brand new for 110 euros. Bought it right away. Turned out the battery was too old, but that's an easy fix. A second battery, small case and usb charger and all is perfect now.

I've been using it for around two months now and I have to say I'm a little sad the industry moved away from 1/1.7". It has been perfect for me in every way. Great colors, exposure, white balance. The girlfriend often compares photos from her a6000 and finds the little Canon's result more pleasing. The lens range is very useful. WiFi is a little slower and slightly less convenient than the one on the 77D, but still works and uses the same apps - great! I found out I've been using it mostly in P with the ring set to step zoom. Much more satisfying than fiddling with a zoom toggle. This is a must for every compact. For the price it is hard to beat.

Last weekend I was trying to recreate an old and blurry photo that my mother uses as a desktop background. It isn't a masterpiece or anything but that wasn't the point. I was very surprised with the highlight recovery from the raw files. It seems my old Olympus XZ-2 had a lot less room in this area.

This is the unprocessed raw file. The sooc jpg had even less information in the highlights.

After some ACR and Nik Software

Georgi Bonchev's gear list:Georgi Bonchev's gear list
Canon EOS 77D Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow