A concert with M43, at and over the limit

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NCV
NCV Veteran Member • Posts: 7,603
A concert with M43, at and over the limit

We went to see Pat Metheny yesterday at the Vittoriale on Lake Garda. My wife wanted a couple of pictures for an internet review.

But photography at Metheny concerts is forbidden and it is strictly enforced. I understand this has happened now that everybody has a camera on hand and the artists have to face a sea of smartphones. Not like in the good old days when it was just a couple of SLRS in the crowd and nobody cared much (apart from Keith Jarret).

Bag searches and all the other cr*p you have to have to face now when you go to a concert meant smuggling in a camera was risky anyway. Well not quite, my small LX100 disappeared into the chaos of my wife’s handbag. Not exactly the Nikon + Nikon 300 2.8 that was my standard Jazz photography lens back in the days when I shot for our local theatre.

With the puny 75mm equivalent, from the fourth row, I got a few shots off in the confusion of the final curtain call, not expecting to much, only to keep my wife happy in that I had tried. Not my greatest jazz pictures and I told my wife the results would be horrible after looking at the preview.

When I got home I looked at the group shot which was sharp considering the confusion whilst I took them. But I was amazed how much I was able to enlarge a frame showing just Metheny before the frame started to fall apart.

Final result, I managed to get a decent enough “American trim” portrait for my wifes piece as well as a group shot. It looked more than fine on the web.

A small M43 camera was the perfect tool and perhaps the only choice on this occasion. My iPhone would have been a failure.

Take what you will from this tale.

It was a great concert, Metheny was on form.

This picture of Pat metheny

From this

Nikon 801 + 300 2.8 from back in 1992

BTW. Some people got "seen" taking pictures of the performance. It was interesting and a warning about what happened.

First, they shone a narrow white torch beam on the miscreant. Then they used some sort of red laser when a guy did not get the message and did not stop. I do not know what it might have done to the guys sensor and what the desired result of the laser was.

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Panasonic LX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow