Very disappointed with MacBook Pro 2018

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
OP (unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 518
Re: Very disappointed with MacBook Pro 2018

Jim in Hudson wrote:

Sunshine7913 wrote:

Jim in Hudson wrote:

Sunshine7913 wrote:

Cogset wrote:

Sunshine7913 wrote:

EG wrote:

That rendering result was based on one Youtube video review. A couple of other reviews got different results. Apple may have not put in an adequate cooling system in the 2018 i9, but don't jump the gun. Wait til the BIG unbiased reviews come out. Might get different results.

PS ALL laptops throttle at high temps. Question is can they be cooled enough to keep their base speed.

True but so far, I see several reviews from Youtube that 2017 performed better than 2018 due to thermal throttle. I saw at least 4 reviews with similar results. i9 is better but overheating issue prevent the full power of i9.

Sounds like a throttled i9 might be slower than a non-throttled i7? In other words, maybe the i7 versions act like the 2017s and have less thermal throttle.

Can you share Youtube links?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCDb9EVlKl0&t=7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx8J125s4cg

I don't find either of those videos very compelling with their messages.

In the first one, he's using a different OS version and who knows what that means? Also, the one test where the 2017 looked better was startup which could be influences by the OS version and/or the fact that new machines take a while to cache parts of the OS. Did he reboot this 2018 several times to allow the caching to run its course?

In the second video, the whole premise was based around Adobe Premier apparently running better on the 2017 MBP. Why is anyone surprised? Everyone knows Adobe software is 1) poorly optimized for macOS (witness the speed of the Windows machine) and 2) rarely takes advantage of higher core count. And the freezer test to demonstrate throttling? What were the results with the 2017 MBP? For all we know, it may have shown the same speed boost from being placed in the freezer, too.

Different OS does not affect that much for sure.

Then you are not explain the fact that MacBook Pro 2017 is performing much better than 2018 on Adobe Premier Pro. Windows is also poorly optimized. MacOS is not the only one. The reason that Windows run better than MacOS is that they have better hardware. For Mac computers, they have poor CPU coolers for Macbook series, Macbook Pro series, iMac series, and Mac Pro 2013. Adobe take advantages on high speed from CPU but Mac computers are not able to cool it down due to poor cooling system.Base on the test from Puget systems, Premier Pro can use up to 8 cores to take advantages. Wether you complained about unfair test, 2018 version is still slower than 2017 without doubts.

I believe you are wrong. Puget Systems has this to say about Premiere Pro CC (Mac vs PC):

"While it depends on the exact hardware configuration you use, a new Windows workstation can be anywhere from 35-40% faster than the iMac Pro or 2x faster than the Mac Pro."

There's no plausible explanation for this other than how Adobe has optimized Premiere Pro CC for each platform.

Because windows workstation can have better cooling solutions while Mac does not. iMac Pro is the newest Mac but there is only two small fans for CPU and GPU. On the other hand, Mac Pro 2013 has only one cooler for 1 CPU and 2 GPU. There is no way to beat Windows workstaion because of their poor cooling solution. Windows workstations have a lot of options for coolers. Basically, both CPU and GPU can get a huge cooler unlike Mac computers. They also can use liquid coolers which is better than air coolers. What about Mac computers? They dont have any options for better coolers. Btw, Adobe was created for Mac first and they kept supporting MacOS for a long time. They already supported the touch bar on Macbook Pro after Apple announced it.

The cooling system is more plausible explanations since there are no proofs that Adobe optimized more for Windows because they make multi-platform softwares. Adobe is more like CPU lover. High clock speed is the best way to improve the performance but Mac computers are not capable of increasing the CPU speed. iMac and MacBook Pro's CPUs are already downclocked.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
EG
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
EG
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
EG
EG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow