Jim in Hudson Senior Member • Posts: 2,243
Re: Very disappointed with MacBook Pro 2018

Sunshine7913 wrote:

Jim in Hudson wrote:

Sunshine7913 wrote:

Cogset wrote:

Sunshine7913 wrote:

EG wrote:

That rendering result was based on one Youtube video review. A couple of other reviews got different results. Apple may have not put in an adequate cooling system in the 2018 i9, but don't jump the gun. Wait til the BIG unbiased reviews come out. Might get different results.

PS ALL laptops throttle at high temps. Question is can they be cooled enough to keep their base speed.

True but so far, I see several reviews from Youtube that 2017 performed better than 2018 due to thermal throttle. I saw at least 4 reviews with similar results. i9 is better but overheating issue prevent the full power of i9.

Sounds like a throttled i9 might be slower than a non-throttled i7? In other words, maybe the i7 versions act like the 2017s and have less thermal throttle.

Can you share Youtube links?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCDb9EVlKl0&t=7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx8J125s4cg

I don't find either of those videos very compelling with their messages.

In the first one, he's using a different OS version and who knows what that means? Also, the one test where the 2017 looked better was startup which could be influences by the OS version and/or the fact that new machines take a while to cache parts of the OS. Did he reboot this 2018 several times to allow the caching to run its course?

In the second video, the whole premise was based around Adobe Premier apparently running better on the 2017 MBP. Why is anyone surprised? Everyone knows Adobe software is 1) poorly optimized for macOS (witness the speed of the Windows machine) and 2) rarely takes advantage of higher core count. And the freezer test to demonstrate throttling? What were the results with the 2017 MBP? For all we know, it may have shown the same speed boost from being placed in the freezer, too.

Different OS does not affect that much for sure.

Then you are not explain the fact that MacBook Pro 2017 is performing much better than 2018 on Adobe Premier Pro. Windows is also poorly optimized. MacOS is not the only one. The reason that Windows run better than MacOS is that they have better hardware. For Mac computers, they have poor CPU coolers for Macbook series, Macbook Pro series, iMac series, and Mac Pro 2013. Adobe take advantages on high speed from CPU but Mac computers are not able to cool it down due to poor cooling system.Base on the test from Puget systems, Premier Pro can use up to 8 cores to take advantages. Wether you complained about unfair test, 2018 version is still slower than 2017 without doubts.

I believe you are wrong. Puget Systems has this to say about Premiere Pro CC (Mac vs PC):

"While it depends on the exact hardware configuration you use, a new Windows workstation can be anywhere from 35-40% faster than the iMac Pro or 2x faster than the Mac Pro."

There's no plausible explanation for this other than how Adobe has optimized Premiere Pro CC for each platform.

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
EG
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
EG
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
EG
EG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow