Fisheye Lens with D750 for 360 Panoramas?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
hail_torm New Member • Posts: 1
Fisheye Lens with D750 for 360 Panoramas?

Hi,

Trying to get into 360 virtual tours (new to the fisheye world) and hoping to get some clarification on the lens I should buy for my D750.

I am deciding between the Nikkor 16mm Fisheye lens or the Sigma 8mm Circular Fisheye. I'm also interested in the Nikkor 8-15mm Fisheye, but it's a bit out of my price range. Can someone explain why I should choose one over the other?

From what I understand, the biggest difference is in the number of shots required. The 16mm requires 6 horizontal shots shot at 36° (plus N/Z), while the Sigma requires only 3 at 120°. I know that this comes at the expense of resolution, but I sometimes shoot 360s in public spaces and it would be nice to minimize the number of shots required in case people are walking through the scene.

My question is, if I purchase the Sigma and (if the scene allows) take 4-6 horizontal photos, will that resolve the resolution discrepancy between those two lenses? That seems like it would give me the most flexibility in different shooting situations.

Secondly, is there any benefit to the diagonal fisheye of the Nikkor over the circular fisheye of the Sigma when it comes to stitching the panorama, etc?

Thanks!

Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow