Wisdom of buying a used D7000?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Hank Barta Regular Member • Posts: 188
Wisdom of buying a used D7000?

Hi all,

Short story: I'm considering buying a used D7000. Any wisdom from the community on this choice? I'm looking at Ebay and it seems that will about fit my budget.

Long story: Today is a bit of a sad day. My D80 started throwing the 'Err' message in the top LCD. I contacted what I believe to be a highly competent repair shop and w/out examining the camera they thought it could cost about $275. I looked at Ebay and it seems that I could probably buy a used D80 for about half that. (Option #1) Or I could upgrade a little bit to a D90. (Option #2) That's still within my budget (on Ebay, anyway.) Or I could move up to a D7000 which would be a bigger step up and perhaps not strain the budget too much. (Option #3.)

I'm curious what those more knowledgeable than me would consider doing. I'm also curious about the feelings about buying on Ebay. (After I post this I'll check for a forum that discusses this.) What other options might be open to me? Also note that I have AF lenses that rely on the focus motor in the camera so I need a body that provides that.

Now I'm just rambling: The D80 was a graduation gift to our youngest. I'm not sure how much use he got from it, but when he married his wife developed an interest in photography and started using it. Eventually she decided to upgrade to (IIRC) a D7200. She takes some pictures (of our grandkids) that really astonish me. Anyway, she's happy with one camera so they gave back the D80. It was a nice upgrade from my D50 (which I still have and occasionally use.) Maybe I should study the Nikon literature and find a good upgrade for her. (Option #4)

Thanks!

Nikon D50 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon D80 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow