Tape in Sigma Lenses

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
moedius
moedius New Member • Posts: 20
Tape in Sigma Lenses

Does anyone know what type of tape is used in the assembly of older Sigma lenses? It may still be used in their modern lenses or on other manufacturers, but I've only been willing to take apart and clean ones that I don't have to worry about if something goes wrong. I've started disassembling and cleaning old glass lately, partly for personal edification, and partly because I find a kind of Zen relaxation in the process. The two particular Sigma's in this case were taken apart to remedy the sticky disintegrating coating their seem prone to.

Specifically, it appears to be used to 'stitch' together separate pieces of the barrels, and is typically underneath the rubber grips. It's matte black on one side and foil\metallic on the sticky side. It comes off relatively easy and leaves virtually no residue. It's very thin. I feel like I've seen it elsewhere in other products, and it seems like something that should be relatively easy to find but for some reason I'm struggling to work out exactly what it is and where to buy it. I've experimented with some other alternatives, but I don't trust that just using any regular tape will do over time in the wrong environment, with the glue or 'lint' from fraying edges.

Not sure what the best forum for this would be, but this seemed most accurate, but I apologize if there's a better spot for it.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

"Banal ideas cannot be rescued by beautiful execution" - Sol Lewitt

moedius's gear list:moedius's gear list
NEX5R Sony a6000 Sony a77 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 +35 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow