How does your photography hobby expenses compare to your other expenses?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Raymond Cho Senior Member • Posts: 1,431
How does your photography hobby expenses compare to your other expenses?

I have maybe been guilty of having a hobby of photography and then not doing much with other aspects. I don't buy photographic equipment that often given that the technology now is so good and also recently very good gear can be had second hand including current model gear.

I have though not spent much elsewhere - be it relaxing, eating out, holidays etc and when I had time to myself I have pretty much just stayed home including many Christmas and New Years and just cooked my own food. I don't watch that much TV but when I do watch some TV, occasionally it reminds me if I have been neglecting. The last time I got a new camera body, I didn't have much hesitation but it was a good couple of years after my other camera body but it is like I have not been away from home for a good few years even a couple of years even just for a long weekend. That amount on the camera body could have been on a small break away. But when I had gone away how seldom it has always been staying at a traveler inn or a hostel to cut my expenses down, walk around as much as I can and do my photography and often when I get home I haven't spent much time experiencing the place even eating out much - often it's some fast food, a ramen bar in Japan or something or even the odd 7-11 (!). Carrying a tripod for cityscapes etc .. isn't that friendly with busy eating places.

How do you guys balance your photography hobby spending with your other expenses?

At times it feels like yeah .. I got a new camera now I can do the same thing as I have always have - drive 20min out to the CBD and walk around with it. And then nothing much else. Stays home, heads out, time to go back home in a good few years haven't been on a plane, haven't driven further than 20 Miles. How do you guys balance yours?

Raymond Cho's gear list:Raymond Cho's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D70 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow