A little love for the Lumix 45-200 f4-5.6 II

Started 3 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
FunGuy66 Forum Member • Posts: 52
A little love for the Lumix 45-200 f4-5.6 II

I'm not in a position to do a methodical review here, but I wanted to share some impressions of this much-maligned lens. In a nutshell, I like this lens. It's fun to use. It's reasonably light and compact given its reach. But it does have its shortcomings, obvious enough even to someone who hasn't used many different long lenses.

The new version is very similar to its predecessor in most respects, except the build quality seems noticeably better, including splash-proofing. I briefly had both lenses at once but unfortunately didn't think to do any detailed comparisons. Unlike my copy of the mk1, the zoom mechanism is appropriately stiff and doesn't creep. If you're familiar with the Lumix 12-60 kit lens, the fit and finish is essentially the same.

My copy was "free" as it was added to a G85 + 12-60 kit for little or no added charge. It's unlikely I'd buy this on its own at or near MSRP, but I am glad I purchased that particular kit.

Pros: Inexpensive; splash-proof construction and all-round good build quality; effective OIS/Dual IS; compact for its reach.

Cons: purple fringing can rear its head in challenging conditions; very noticeable vignetting wide open, especially at longer focal lengths. Large barrel diameter means it does not play well with some combinations of tripod mounting plates + camera bodies (but the G85's poorly positioned tripod mount is the real culprit here).

Range: about 1.5 km

I'm useless with birds, even when they come sit on the fence for 10 minutes and let me get as close as I please. I think this one is almost in focus... Not really a problem with the lens, so much as user error.

Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 II Power OIS
Telephoto zoom lens • Micro Four Thirds • H-FS045200
Announced: Jan 4, 2017
FunGuy66's score
Average community score
Panasonic 45-200mm F4-5.6 II Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow