So, how do you carry your RX100?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dr jim Veteran Member • Posts: 6,221
So, how do you carry your RX100?

I'm serious!  I just purchased the RX100VI and I have a conundrum. I have had an RX100 III since it came out and an RX100 before that. They have always been my secondary, or even tertiarry camera. The one you stick in your pocket when you go out to dinner or to a friends BBQ. Anytime photography isn't a main consideration and you don't want to lug a more serious camera. I've always been very happy with the image quality of the camera, but less so about the ergonomics and usability. But heck, that's the price you pay for the small size and convenience, and I get that.

So when the RX100VI came out, I was very excited, probably like a lot of you, to use it as my primary travel camera. Since I retired a few years ago, my wife and I have been traveling a lot more and I have been carrying one version or another of a mirrorless ILC with an 18-135 for the most part. First Fuji,, then Panasonic and lately Sony. The idea of having the same focal length covered, but having both hands free, not having the camera bumping on my hip, not worrying about whanging it against a light post on a crowded Paris street, or having it taking center place on the lunch or dinner table, was very appealing. My plan was to carry it either in my pocket or more likely in a small belt pouch.

I found very quickly that when it is being used asmy primary photo tool this doesn't work for me. When touristing, I would typically take 3-400 images a day. My problem is that every time I want to take a shot, I have to pull the camera out of it's pouch, turn it on, wait for it to fire up and then extend the lens. After I take the shot, I have to turn it off and wait for the lens to retract before putting it back in the pouch. No way I'm going to put this little $1200 jewel in the case without a lens hood, or lens cap and with that delicate little lens extended 2 inches. Besides not wanting to ruin it, it just won't fit until it's snugged back in it's shell, and the whole point was small and unobtrusive, so I'm not carrying a big bag so I can leave it turned on. I'm not going to carry it around my neck. If I want something around my neck, I'll just bring my A6500 with the 18-135 and call it good....and save $1200. :-).

So, have any of you run up against this same issue, and if so how did you resolve it? Maybe there is no "solution " and it's just one of those tradeoffs you have to choose to make...or not. Or, am I just being a whiner? (That's a rhetorical question. I suspect most of you will go with the whiner choice)

Thanks for any input you might offer.

-- hide signature --

Just my opinion and just for fun!
Jim

dr jim's gear list:dr jim's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony a6000 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6500 +16 more
Sony a6500 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow