?: Recommended lenses for Nikon D850

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
greyhoundrick Forum Member • Posts: 78
?: Recommended lenses for Nikon D850

Hello everyone!

I am in the process of upgrading my gear and after 10+ years of not adding a new camera body I recently purchased a Nikon D850. I previously used a D3 and D300

I love the D850 so far and am working on maximizing my skills in order to get the most out of it.

My next investment will be to purchase a couple of lenses and Id love to get your thoughts as to which direction would be best.

My current aging lens line-up:

24-70mm f/2.8 G AF-S ED

70-200mm f/2.8 VR f/2.8 G IF ED (version 1 2002)

85mm f/1.4 D AF

105mm AF-S VR f/2.8 G IF-ED Micro

The above lenses are listed in the order that I use them as I like to shoot events, animals (zoo and portraits), people portraits and macro.

Ive tried to research the best lenses for the D850 and understand that the best results will probably come from the latest version of each lens. Im not sure how the 24-70mm that I own compares to the new VR version for the D850 or how the 70-200mm stacks up vs. the new version of that one as well for the D850.

Im thinking I might want to sell my 24-70 and 70-200 and buy the latest versions of those two lenses, but to start out I'll probably have to opt for one or the other right away and then hold off on the second lens for a while.

I guess one thing I need to figure out is what is the difference performance wise between the versions I have vs. the latest version of each on a D850 body and maybe go for the one that will deliver the most improvement.

Any insight you have would be greatly appreciated and thanks so much for your expertise!

best to you,

Rick

Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow