Shooting Birds & BIFs in Pouring Rain (7/16/18)

Started 4 months ago | Photos thread
zackiedawg
OP zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 30,237
Maccam,

maccam wrote:

Curious which rain sleeve you are using.

I have some Op/Tech rainsleeves I picked up on Amazon - they run about $7 for a 2-pack, have a cinch-able drawstring on the front to tighten to the lens hood, can extend to cover up to 18" of lens (more than enough even for my Tamron 150-600mm extended all the way), have a small hole cutout to stick the viewfinder hood through, and opening for the hand at the bottom rear for accessing the camera.  I've been using these for years, in complete downpours, even hurricanes.

When one gets a little too worn where it looks like it's starting to crease or develop stretch holes, I switch to the other one - and so far I'm only on my 2nd one of my 2nd pack (4th total sleeve) in about 12 years of use.

I got caught in the rain a week or so ago with my a6500 and FE100-400. I didn't try taking any pictures but just walked fast back to my car with my camera under my T-shirt. I guess moisture got into the multi interface hot shoe even though the plastic slide in cover was installed and rain drops never actually hit the camera. For 2 days after drying the camera out I got the "accessory not supported" warning.

That's always a worry - sometimes hiding it under a t-shirt if the shirt gets too wet can be even more damaging, as the wet fabric soaked with water if lying directly on the camera body can more easily transfer water into cracks and crevices.  On the occasions I was caught in the rain without the sleeve, I've stuck the camera under my shirt, but held the shirt away from the camera too.  It only takes about 10 seconds to get the camera and lens into the sleeve - so if I see rain coming, or feel the first drop or two, I'll pull the sleeve out of my pocket and start putting the camera inside right away.  Folded, the sleeves are smaller than a men's wallet and weigh nothing, so they're very convenient to have on you at all times when out shooting.

By the way; you are the reason I purchased the 100-400 and the 1.4 TC. One of the best photographic purchases I've ever made.

Congrats - it is a fantastic combo indeed!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow