Very smart camera - compact but not really solid with cheap display

Started 3 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
mjdundee Contributing Member • Posts: 809
Very smart camera - compact but not really solid with cheap display

I have bought the camera at a extremely low price from the vitrine of a electronics supermarket and have used it for about 2 years.

As a friend of lightweigt travel it replaced my beloved Powershot S 95 and was mainly used as a backup for my Pana GM 1 if I didn't want to carry the bag with body and some lenses.

All three cameras have approximatelly the same lenght and height and have brigth and sharp lenses. They differ however in width. Whereas the S 95 fits practically in every pocket easyly, you need to squeeze the RX 100 a little bit and the GM1 with a comparable KIT lens 12-32 is unusable as a pocketcamera. It also requires two hands operation whereas S 95 and RX 100 also work single handed but they need a optional grip in order to avoid dropping.  The RX 100 is not that sharp in the corners and has minor macro capability compared the the S 95 but thanks to a much higher resolution this is not a deal breaker.

As most Sony producs this camera is very smart and easy to use.

The introduction of the 24mm wideangle and the flip display was the main attraction for me. Although 20 MP was more than my Pana M43 system offers, the pictures didn't look as clean and somehow artifical.  Sharpness was fine and I loved the Panorama mode which really worked very efficiently and accurate.

The high ISO results didn't match the 4/3 sensor but upt to ISO 1600 they were perfectly usable. (comparable to the GM 1 at ISO 3200)

Sharing or storing pictures out of the camera was very easy and worked very well.

The pop up EVF seemed to be a great innovation but to be honest - I have used it only two or tree times and even then it didn't help much.

Display and body quality were the main reasons why i have sold this camera after two years.  The rear display started to show signs of decomposition from the edges very soon after I had received the camera, although I always carried it in a Lowepro bag that fitted well. The black paint on the upper body edges started to disappear also very soon and so the pur Aluminium became visible.

The camera once dropped from about 3 feet on the floor and although beeing protected by the Lowepro bag, the upper plate  got  seriously out of shape. It was no big deal to rearrange it but if I compare the RX 100 body to my trusty S 95 - well this 2010 built camera still looks like new and I am stillusing the same hands.

When both displays refused to operate I sold the RX 100 as defect. It still delivered nice pictures but composition became quite difficult ;  ).

Considering the price tag Sony officially asks for this series I think they are considerably over the top.  I would never have paid 600 Euros for the M III and the M IV, V and VI prices look insane to me.  50% of  value seems to be for the image - at least.

You can get much more capable & solid cameras (even with a grip) for the money if size and/or image doesn't matter that much.

mjdundee's gear list:mjdundee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III
20 megapixels • 3 screen • 24 – 70 mm (2.9×)
Announced: May 16, 2014
mjdundee's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
acceptable
Action / sports
okay
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
weak
Studio / still life
okay
= community average
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow