Nikon V3 + CX70-300 - BIF ability?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Stefan BW Contributing Member • Posts: 971
Nikon V3 + CX70-300 - BIF ability?

When I bought the V3 (with EVF and grip) 1+ month ago I was aware that it wouldn't beat the V2 for birds in flight. One reviewer said the AF-C of the V2 was better in low light. He later did duck BIF with the V3: achieve focus at 220mm, then zoom out to 300mm.

I had seen excellent BIF images with the V3. Yet I don't know if these were taken with AF-A or with locked focus. My understanding of a camera "good at BIF" is that it works great with AF-C. Which is definitely true for the V2, a small ergonomic miracle. Not so sure whether I'd say the same about the V3.

Shooting with the V3 I have often lost focus on a raptor sailing high in the sky. Heck, I even lost focus on a duck flying in quite a distance. This never happens to the V2. The V2 also allows to shoot BIF in the style of skeet shooting: focus on the spot where the bird will be, not where it actually is. Trying the same with the V3, I've always lost focus.

The V3 has other strong points, which are very useful in certain situations. Back-button focusing is very nice. Lack of an AA filter is great, the higher MP number is positive. Its buffer is large, and I much enjoy the excellent EVF. So I do like the V3, but I have serious doubts about its BIF capabilities.

For a trip to shoot terns I was so frustrated with the V3 that I left it at home. Having spent the last ten days with the V3 it was a revelation to go back to the V2. Almost no misses, I brought back long sequences of a diving tern. (Yes, I met only one bird. )

Question to those who have the CX70-300 and have used it with both models: do you agree with my assessment that the V3 is not in the same league as the V2 for BIF?

Stefan BW's gear list:Stefan BW's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
Nikon 1 V3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow