How much speed would I gain by upgrading? (Intel i5 1st gen vs i5 8th gen)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Brian Lund Contributing Member • Posts: 510
How much speed would I gain by upgrading? (Intel i5 1st gen vs i5 8th gen)

Hi all, I'm thinking about upgrading my system, but I'm not really sure if it's worth it.

I mainly use my PC for gaming and occasionally photo editing. For gaming I am actually quite happy, but for photo editing, for example merging panoramas I find that often I have to wait a minute or two for the operation to finish.

I have found a Youtube video comparing my CPU (almost 9 year old) vs the most recent i5 and there wasn't really a lot of performance difference (with the same graphics card). But since gaming is more graphics intense and I imagine photo editing is more CPU intense there might be more of a difference in that aspect?

I currently have an i5-750 (1st gen), it's a quad core 2,66 GHz CPU and I have 8 GB RAM and SSD's for OS and programs (but my images are stored on HDD because of the size).

How much faster would for example a panorama merge be if I switch to for example the i5-8400 with 16 GB RAM? (Leaving GPU and SSD/HDD the same)

-- hide signature --
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow