Oly 8mm f1.8 fisheye vs PL 8-18mm for use in Beijing?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ragdoc35 New Member • Posts: 12
Oly 8mm f1.8 fisheye vs PL 8-18mm for use in Beijing?

Hello wonderful and helpful forum members.

Sorry for another "which lens" question but I would really appreciate some opinions on this. Briefly I am going to Beijing in August with my family, part work part fun. I'll have time to take family photos and whatever I can grab while exploring the city. I have never been there so not quite sure what to expect. I have EM1mkii. I am planning on taking the 12-100 as my walk round lens and maybe 1x fast prime ?17mm. Then I thought about a slightly wider lens for indoors/narrow streets. I have the PL 8-18 and love it - great for walking round cities but 2/3 of its range is already covered with the 12-100. I also like fisheye effects. Now it is said to be a bit easier to defish these days so I was thinking about the oly 8mm f1.8 -   could it double as a wide prime and I could defish in post where needed? It is brighter which maybe useful. I am no expert just out to have fun and document this trip. I don't have the fisheye but have an option to pick one up at a very good price. maybe thats the excuse Im telling myself I have used fisheyes with other camera systems before so I know a little of what to expect. I'll be walking round with it all in a sling bag all day so if I don't really need the extra lens my back will thank me.

So to my questions

1: Do I even need a wider option or will the 12-100 be adequate? Cheaper/lighter and less gear to worry about it always better I find.

2: What is you opinion on the fisheye vs the PL8-18 in this setting?

Thanks in advance for taking time to offer any advice you can

Cheers

John

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow