Camera and travel backpack decision

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
M0jave New Member • Posts: 8
Camera and travel backpack decision

Hi, all!

Long time lurker, first time poster here, and since I'm still undecided after reading pretty much everything I could get my hands on, I figured I'd just go ahead and ask my question: what backpack would you guys and gals recommend as an overnight bag for a mirrorless gear set (Sony A7III, with a maximum of three lenses, one of them mounted - Zeiss Sonnar 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8, and Voigtlander 15mm Heliar III, plus a tabletop tripod, charger, batteries, power bank, a couple of cables, etc.), and a few personal items (wallet, phone, keys, a couple of tees, maybe a thin raincoat, small water bottle, stuff like that).

Currently, the best contender would be the Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20L, which seems to fit my needs best, from what I've seen, but since it's still not perfect, I'd like to hear of others that maybe I've missed.

My constraints are:

- form factor and access: definitely backpack (not a big fan of shoulder bags, as I walk a LOT, and they tend to get uncomfortable); side access is a must (strongly prefer swinging the bag under my right arm) and emphasis should be on QUICK access, if I have to put the thing down each and every time I want to take something out, it's pretty much a dealbreaker; would prefer something softer and more malleable, rather than rigid (a minus for the PD), flexible compartmentalization options are a big plus, which is why I like the PD; don't really care about top or back access; also, I would really like it NOT to scream out "camera bag"

- size and weight: 20L-ish would be ideal, 30 tops if it's not too bulky, I can even go for 18 with good use of space; obviously, I'd like it as light as possible, but I understand that's something I might have to sacrifice

- features: not planning on carrying a laptop or a full-sized tripod; good back ventilation is a big plus, since I'd likely do some light to moderate hiking with it as well; an external quick access pocket or two would be very nice (for things like phone and batteries; I usually keep my wallet inside); pickpocket-proofness is a nice plus, as long is it doesn't get in the way of quick access for me, but not mandatory, as I'm pretty aware of my surroundings and live in a country where you get used to watching your things at all times; don't care much about waterproofing, if it's got a rain cover, that's good enough, and I find roll-tops ridiculously slow to get into (unless they have side access as well); resilient and reasonably dirt-proof would be better, I have somewhat nomadic tendencies when I'm traveling; never really use the waist and sternum straps, so they'd just be in the way if they can't be stowed

- price: not that much of an issue since I'm willing to get the PD, but cheaper would be better, obviously

My apologies for clearly sounding obsessive and seemingly looking for perfection, but while I'm about 70-80% determined to get the PD, I still believe there might be better options out there (less rigid, better padding on straps, more outside pockets for quick access, you get the picture).

Thanks a lot for any and all input!

P.S. Oh, and I'm a girl, so ladylike (if there's anything like that) isn't an issue if it has good qualities.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow