XC50-230mm F4.5-6.7 OIS I vs mk II?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 6,343
Re: XC50-230mm F4.5-6.7 OIS I vs mk II?

Hi,

My understanding is the same as Vermont's.  Same optics, better OIS.  My guess is that the upgrade required a hardware change to expand the performance of the OIS, and that it was done because it was readily feasible in a production sense.

I have the 55-200, but bought a mint used 50-230 as a travel lens because I found myself leaving the heavier XF at home.  It's a lot lighter.  I've got Version 1 and have become a convert.  It's fine on my XT1.  I'm impressed with it.  If you look past the usual gripes about the plastic mount, the lack of an aperture ring and the slow speed, it all works very well.  I haven't upgraded to Version 2 - the OIS on the original seems to me to be effective.  No doubt Fuji would claim  better performance, but for my uses, Version 1 OIS is fine.  It's a godsend at longer FLs.

Regards, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow