experiences with ScanCafe?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sdh Regular Member • Posts: 207
experiences with ScanCafe?

I've recently done an order with them and I'm pretty disappointed. I'm curious to hear peoples' experiences with ScanCafe. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

My order was for scanning of about 900 photos in albums. The photos are a mix of 1960's era color and black & white. ScanCafe was the only company I found that would handle photos in albums, meaning they remove the photos from the pages, scan and re-insert. Unless the photos for example are stuck to the pages, then they just scan the entire page and crop the scan into separate image files for each photo on the page.

I found 2 major problems with their work.

1a. Missing images in the disk. I found a total of 15 photos whose scan was missing in the disk. I later was able to obtain the missing images via download. (ScanCafe provides your photo scans on both a disk and download.) For some reason, in my order, those 15 images were there in the download but absent on the disk.

1b. There was one album page that was scanned as a whole, whose 4 photos were not split into separate images. The disk and download had only the original page-scan. I was able to process the page scan myself (crop into individual images and improve color, contrast etc) and generate a complete digital slideshow. But that's what I'm paying ScanCafe to do so technically I could claim 4 more "missing" photos.

2. All the scanned images are blurry. This is the biggest disappointment. I know my photos are old and small (3-3.5" square). I don't expect to blow them up on a monitor and have them look like a modern 12-16 Megapixel image. But for their size many of my photos are sharp, and the scans are not. As a test, I took iphone snaps of some of my photos and resized them down to the same pixel count as the scanned images. All of the iphone snaps are very noticeably sharper than the scans, even viewed at fit-to-screen size (on a 15" macbook pro). The scans look like slightly out of focus photos.

I've sent a complaint to ScanCafe about all this and waiting to hear back now.

What are other peoples' experiences?

sdh's gear list:sdh's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 NEX5R Canon EOS 700D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
sdh
sdh
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow