Yet another 24-70 Nikkor 2.8 ED VR Review

Started 3 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bbmach
bbmach Regular Member • Posts: 103
Yet another 24-70 Nikkor 2.8 ED VR Review

I’ve read just about everything I could find on this lens… and about to finish up a week’s rental from Lensrentals.com

I think people are having an issue with this lens simply because it is not magical like the Nikkor 70-200 2.8. Also, I believe some people are judging it against the older, non-VR version, with the price increase turning them off. I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s more of a knock on the price, than any increased performance, or lack thereof. If you already own something close (enough), it's easy to be vocal and claim you don't need the new one at the higher price...

I’ve haven’t tried the non-VR version.

I rented the lens for a trip to NYC for a Formula E race, and to see if it's something I wanted to use a B&H cash-back coupon on that expires later this week. I walked with it for miles, carried on my shoulder, in my backpack, etc and while yes, it has some weight, never felt cumbersome. Everyone is different.

A few thoughts:

The focal range keeps it from being a “bokeh monster” except at relatively close range.

I was more impressed with the sharpness at a distance.

Feels front heavy, hangs nose down on my D750 from the strap. No tripod collar to help, but feels decently balanced when hand-held. A grip might help, but didn’t try it with one.

Ultimately, I feel this is a solidly built, professional workhorse for people that make their living with a camera. Is it better than my Nikkor 24-85 3.5-4.5 VR? Yes, especially at distances or when cropping in tight in PP, and of course the bokeh. Is it $2,000 better?

I don't know yet.

I think that depends on who you are, what you shoot, your needs and your wants. Hobbyist? Serious Amateur? Professional? Do you photograph people? Architecture? Shoot cars in low light?

I doubt you could do much better, if at all, at this focal length...

September 11th Memorial Site in NYC

Freedom Tower - Yes, that is a plane...

Freedom Tower at Sunset...

-- hide signature --

Always something to learn...
My DPreview Gallery: https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3458159546

bbmach's gear list:bbmach's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR
Zoom lens • Nikon F (FX) • 20052
Announced: Aug 4, 2015
bbmach's score
Average community score
Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow