Sone DSC-RX1-- VI First Impressions

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jim Cassatt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,872
Sone DSC-RX1-- VI First Impressions

Another first impression article.

Introduction: For years I shot with Canon full frame cameras. I finally decided that I needed less weight so I sold all of my canon gear and switched to Fuji. I am now shooting with the Fuji X-Pro2. Still I needed something for travel when I did not want to lug around my heavy Fuji gear. For this purpose, I bought a Fuji X-30. Although a good camera, it was still not "pocketable" and I wanted longer reach on the zoom. Hence my choice of the Sony.

The camera arrived the day I was scheduled to leave with my girlfriend to Iceland for a weekend. Ignoring the usual advice, I did take this camera with me.

I found myself really liking this camera. On the negative side, i still have not mastered the complicated menu system. Nonetheless, I figured out enough to get me going. One thing I liked about the Fuji interface was that everything that I needed to set quickly was close at hand. I set up the Sony so that the lens ring controlled EC and the waste key set the ISO. I found this combination worked quite well. I am still having trouble mastering the one spot auto focus. A lot to learn about this aspect.

Basically it did not take me long to use everything I needed to. Focusing was fast, certainly faster than my X-30. No noticeable shutter lag. I really need an eye level finder, and this camera does not disappoint. Picture quality is fine, but I am eagerly awaiting Lightroom to release the RAW file converters.

One caveat. I have not pushed this camera under low light conditions.

Anyway, you can see my first attempts at www.pbase.com/jcassatt/iceland

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 +17 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow