I was loaned an SD Quattro H . . . and here is a photo from it.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Scottelly
Scottelly Veteran Member • Posts: 9,478
I was loaned an SD Quattro H . . . and here is a photo from it.

So my first impression is not all that favorable. Don't get me wrong, I like the camera. It's fast (much faster than my SD1 Merrill), attractive, solid, and has a great review screen. I don't know what Sigma was thinking when they basically eliminated the white balance control though. Now I have to hit menu and go into select white balance in the main menu system . . . or am I missing something?

Here's my best photo so far (just a little bit of shooting so far):

Processed from raw in SPP 6.6.0

Here's a crop from the middle area of that image above:

For those with smartphones, this crop shows the fine detail captured.

You may or may not have noticed that I shot this photo with my old 70mm f2.8 EX macro. That lens does auto-focus with the SD Quattro H, but not reliably, so I manual focus, using the 4x magnification, and it seems to work quite well. The review screen is very good for using to focus . . . at least with a 70mm f2.8 lens, which is the only one of my lenses that I've used on the camera so far (since it's the best lens I have).

I have noticed the batteries, which show as full when I put them in the camera, get depleted quite quickly. Maybe that's because they are after-market batteries. I have the original Sigma battery in the camera now. I forgot that this camera didn't take the same batteries as my SD1 Merrill. I was thinking the batteries were going to be interchangeable, but they're not. I can imagine needing more batteries than the three the camera was sent to me with. I would probably get a couple of pairs of Wasabi batteries with the USB dual charger. I think owning this camera would require a minimum of 5 batteries. I might even get the battery grip too. This is a camera that would really benefit a lot from one of those devices.

As far as shooting over 100 ISO? I was under the impression that Quattro cameras would perform better than my SD1 Merrill at ISO settings above ISO 100. Now I have the opposite impression. Maybe it's the fact that the camera has version 1.03 of the firmware, but I am quite shocked how bad the images shot at ISO 400 look . . . even the raw images that I process with SPP 6.6.0 (the latest verion of SPP). I'll post more photos here later today or some time tonight.

As far as the photo of the coconut palm trees above, I have to say I'm impressed. The detail seems quite good - probably better than my SD1 Merrill. I'll have to shoot some comparisons, but so far I like what I'm seeing at ISO 100. I'll shoot some SFD mode photos too. In fact, I've already done so, and I'll post some here soon.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
http://www.bigprintphotos.com

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Olympus TG-860 Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +15 more
Sigma sd Quattro H Sigma SD1 Sigma SD1 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow