Maximum achievable "zoom" with m4/3--within reasonable price.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Velocity of Sound
Velocity of Sound Contributing Member • Posts: 515
More 4/3 options

Michael Meissner wrote:

There was a Sigma 50-500mm lens that more people had as well. My store had a used version a few years ago. I passed on it, given the weight, and the reviews of the lens compared to the 50-200mm + EC-14 that I had.

I own a 50-500mm.  Used it extensively on 4/3, used it a few times on my E-M1 Mk2 but haven't done much birding in recent years.  It's not the sharpest of lenses - although I get some pretty decent results at f/8 and without any UV filters on - but the size and weight aren't terrible.  It feels about the same as the "super high grade" Zuiko Digital 35-100mm f/2.0.  Mounted to a monopod, you can shoot without fatigue and it is still a very mobile setup.  The 300-800mm supposedly had far superior optical quality, but as you mentioned, it was a rarity... and at its weight, it didn't seem very mobile even if you could use it with a monopod.

An alternate to get to the 1000mm+ 35mm focal length equivalent is to go for the old Zuiko Digital 300mm f/2.8, paired up with the EC-20 teleconverter.  That would get you a 600mm f/5.6 (1200mm equivalent on 35mm).

Velocity of Sound's gear list:Velocity of Sound's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 35-100mm 1:2.0 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow