Would you / do you use a 1/2.3" type camera?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
johnf_ma Junior Member • Posts: 36
Would you / do you use a 1/2.3" type camera?

It seems like all the hype these days surrounds 1" types in the prosumer segment and with good reasons. On the other end, 1/2.3" cameras have been taking a beating from phone cameras. Are these cameras going the way of snail mail and standalone GPS or do they still have a place?

Of course, this question is mainly aimed at prosumers as pro-tographers have never really been interested in such consumer-grade cameras and I wouldn't expect them to. To them I would ask a slightly different question: if that was all you had to work with, would it be time to find a new profession?

Now to bias the jury As my sig indicates I own two 1/2.3" cameras and here's why. Every camera has limitations, especially those without interchangeable lenses. For example my LX100 has a decent-sized M43 sensor, but its zoom range is limited and there are very few pockets it will fit in.

Just as poor low-light capability can ruin a photo opportunity, so can limited zoom or not having the camera or lens with you because it was too cumbersome. 1/2.3" type cameras excel in zoom range and convenience but trade low-light image quality to achieve that.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic LX100 & ZS60
Canon Powershot ELPH 300HS

Panasonic LX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow