Why Shutter Shock?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sam in Hawaii Regular Member • Posts: 247
Why Shutter Shock?

And why with some combinations and not others?

I kind of suspected "shutter shock" was sometimes an excuse for sloppy technique until I experienced it. I'm puzzled as to why; what interaction between camera and lens, exactly, makes this happen?

I picked up a Lumix 14-140, the older, heavier version, and was fiddling with in on my EM-1, a fairly heavy body. With the mechanical shutter, I could see a distinct blur; everything was maybe 1--2 pixels smeared, pretty much regardless of shutter speed between, say 1/100 and 1/500. And no, it wasn't a focus problem. With the e-shutter, no blur, same conditions, maybe a minute apart. It was repeatable, too. Mechanical shutter, blur; e-shutter, no blur. Several trials, because I couldn't believe it was that bad.

Strangely, there was less blur with my EM-10 II, although still present. Also strangely, neither my 40-150 plastic fantastic nor my 75-300 have this problem.

So, why would this particular lens (and this is not the version famous for shutter shock; that's the later, II version) be so susceptible? Neither the lens nor this particular body are exactly lightweights

Short version, what interactions cause shutter shock with some combinations? Theories? I suspect that the "floating" OIS element(s) might play a role.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow