Anybody use 18-55 f2.8-4 for weddings?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ozonation Contributing Member • Posts: 853
Anybody use 18-55 f2.8-4 for weddings?

I have a wedding coming up in August and my original plan was to use my Nikon gear (D850). Except I didn't quite think this through in the sense that the XQD cards are prohibitively expensive, and Nikon has different card slots (one SD; one XQD). Since this is a wedding, I'm insisting on dual card redundancy. I had bought the D850 last year on the (foolish) assumption that prices would drop and there would be more selection a year later. Not so. A fast 64 GB XQD card would run me almost $250 Cdn after taxes. And I would need at least two of them.

... and so, I'm thinking of using my Fuji system instead (XT2, XPro2). Dual card slots with much more affordable and available SD format cards. Except I do not have the 16-55 f2.8 lens, of which the full frame equivalent (24-70) I have used frequently in weddings and other events. I would have bought it, except for the money, it doesn't come with stabilization. (I guess the XH1 and future cameras will change that dynamic). However, I was happy with the 18-55 kit lens at a 1/3 the price, losing 2 mm on the wide end, but gaining the stabilzation - except I never thought about a wedding.

Has anybody used the 18-55 kit lens and found it to be adequate for a wedding, or were you missing that extra stop of light from the bigger 16-55? I like the Fuji primes but I prefer zooms for events, and in this wedding, the venue is a bit tight for the ceremony, so I'm not sure I have much room to move around.

(Note: I do have the 50-140; 56mm f1.2; 35mm f2; 23mm f1.4; 16mm f1.4)

Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow