Why not a wide or even superwide compact

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nathan Chao Regular Member • Posts: 179
Why not a wide or even superwide compact

.Are all enthusiasts just tele fans since there are so many compact cameras that carry tele to ridiculous lengths that become impossible to handhold.
Yet there is not a single wide zoom compact. I own the only compact that starts at 21 and that's not that wide, the Oly 850 21-105 equiv. The photo quality of that cam is much poorer than many of the 1" compacts by Panny and Sony.
I know Nikon failed to birth their 16-50 due to fear of poor market and that may by true since that cam was not that wide or pocketable like the ZS and RX100s. The Nilon compromised and tried to be the only camera by going to a not wide 50. A wide compact should be more in the 10-24 area to perfectly comlement the hordes of compacts that start at 24. People buy lots of lens to fill gaps for ILC, so why can't we have a dedicated wide compact. I also admit I own the LG phone with a 12mm equiv which is great to have in my pocket at all times but again the IQ is poor.
People buy compact because they would like to have cameras because they don't want to lug a big camera or want a cam available at all time. Currently for those who like to shoot wide and want IQ, they must like myself lug aroung an ILC with wide lens mounted on it. We have no choice because no manufacturer has stepped into this void of making a 1" pocketable superwide.
Even though it is expensive, the new RX100M6 which goes out to 200 at F4.5 produces pictures as good as my 70-200 F4 on my old high quality film camera. In those days I can only go to ASA 400 and now the Sony 1" pictures still looks great at ISO1600. So despite what the DPreview says, I know if I shell out for the RX100M6, I won't have to lug around my much bulkier 70-200 and still get pics comparable to my best in film days and older large sensors.

Nathan Chao's gear list:Nathan Chao's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Sony RX100 II Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow