New to astral landscape.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dr_Love
Dr_Love Regular Member • Posts: 475
New to astral landscape.

I posted in astro but they seem more interested in super advanced stuff and not so much in relative newbs. So I'm hoping there are a few looking for the same answers as I that have had some success and are willing to share their resources.

I've just returned from my trip to a DARK deserted island where I did my first shoot last wednesday. Thursday and Friday weren't clear and I didn't have the opportunity to try more. I started with 15sec 24mm FF and 20sec 12mm aps-c. I also shot a few longer exposures, max 3 minutes to use for landscape detail. I feel that I have captured enough data to give myself a decent result for what is a first try. I would have liked to have had clear skies on the other two nights as I think I could have improved composition outright and timing. I had estimated my time at 1am for the framing I was looking for. It was 30 to 45 minutes earlier than I had estimated but luckily I arrived an hour early just to watch the sky and wait. Due to this I was rushed in my setting up. Both cameras starting exposure settings were done beforehand but getting the composition lined up with an electronic vf was something that I didn't plan on. Chimp, make an adjustment guess. Chimp again, wash rinse, repeat. I'm thinking that next time I'll leave the ball head at home and bring my old 3 way pan tilt head to make things a little easier. Does anyone have suggestions on EVF work arounds?

On to my reason for this post.

Editing astral/landscape.

My first guess at a workflow would be to find my best sky and process for the sky. Processing starting points or cool noise reduction techniques? I speculate that noise control is the biggest thing to learn in astral. Sky followed by processing one of my longer exposures for the landscape portion and layer mask in photoshop. Could it be that simple? I know it's not, I just need to know who to trust on youtube.

I know many will say look at youtube or search google but there are too many results to sift through to find the good ones. Can anyone recommend some specific youtube 'authors' that have good astral beginner editing tutorials assuming reasonable proficiency with LR, C1 and some CS6?

Exposure blending is also something I am aware of but have no experience in actually doing. Conceptually I could see just stacking two images and then (I don't know if this exists or not) and then brushing away the density of the top layer gradually until I'm left with what I want. Is there a way of actually doing this? What would the tool/settings be? I would assume I would need to set a specific type of blending mode for the layers as well? Sorry if I come off as stupid with photoshop but my knowledge is very limited at this point. My mind can express the concept of what I want to try but my lack of knowledge and a source to ask specific questions rather than watch a video hinders my ability to get great results.

Any advice will help. If I add up the pieces I may find a complete answer.

Dr_Love's gear list:Dr_Love's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a6500 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow