Broken SEL1670 ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MarcoNex Regular Member • Posts: 211
Broken SEL1670 ?

Hi guys,

after 3 years of heavy usage, I noticed a strange behaviour of my Zony 16-70, which I didn't see before.

Shaking the lens, or even turning it gently upside-down I hear a rattle noise from a lousy piece.

From the rear element I can clearly see a lens group assembly sliding freely up and down.

However, when I turn on the camera, the piece seems to snap into place (I cannot see it because the lens is mounted) and there no more rattle noise.

Also, the lens seem to work properly: picture are sharp like always, AF is snappy and OSS seems to work too.

I fixed many lenses in the past, including a Sony E (SEL1628) and I would not hesitate to open this one too, but I'm reluctant to do it since the lens seems to be working OK.

I have a discrete number of Sony E lenses and I noticed that almost all of them do some kind of rattle noise when shaked, so I guess the focusing/OSS group is free to move when not powered, but for my SEL 1670 the noise is now much more evident.

Any experience ? Does your SEL1670 show the same behaviour ?

Thank you in advance.

Marco

-- hide signature --
 MarcoNex's gear list:MarcoNex's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow