Making lemonade? K1 & DFA 50mm macro for weddings.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
SBS
SBS Senior Member • Posts: 2,511
Making lemonade? K1 & DFA 50mm macro for weddings.

The wedding venue was darker than most. All three of my tres amigos FA Limited lenses were unavailable; two permanently, and the 31mm was in the shop. I was relying mostly on the FA 50mm f/2.8 macro, and occasionally, the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 when I needed wide angle. AF during this particular very low light reception, with this particular lens was frustrating. By the time I achieved AF, the scene had changed, and I was getting a bunch of useless shots. Then I started using the focus clamp on the lens. When I achieved focus, I would flip the focus clamp down with the middle finger of my left hand, which was positioned underneath the lens. Now I could fire as often as I liked to capture subject activity within that plan of focus. When ready for a new AF focus point, I would filp the clamp back up to return AF. The focus clamp on this lens and the DFA 100mm f/2.8 macro lenses essentially converts an AF focus into a manual focus, and so the camera can be fired at will. It works very well on moving subjects that are restrained within a certain plain of focus. Since I don't trust my ability to manual focus, this works quite well. I feel like I have gained another weapon in my arsenal (for specific circumstances).

The link below contains a few sequences of this technique in action. The first photo, in which flashes did not fire, shows what the camera was dealing with. The optical quality of both the 50mm f/2.8 macro and the 100mm f/2.8 macro lenses is excellent. Consider this thread my support for these two "older' lenses, and why they are still relevant.

https://www.skyoftexas.com/The-Attic/Lens-Collections/n-jLVPn/Making-Lemonade/

Thanks,

Michael

Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SBS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow