Colour gradation in blue skies

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Boss of Sony Senior Member • Posts: 1,684
Colour gradation in blue skies

Hi, I'm not sure I'm posting this question in the right forum. But I think it specifically relates to my equipment.

I often find non-smooth colour gradation in the sky in my landscape shots. What I mean is, there is no smooth transition from one colour to the next. It is kind of in steps or bands of colour. This makes it difficult to edit the photo, as those colour transitions become more and more visible when I apply contrast, sharpening or filters to the image.

Is this a limitation of the M43 sensor or Panasonic cameras or lower MPixel count? Or is there a way to avoid this in post-processing? Interestingly I find my friend's Sony RX100 doesn't seem to suffer as much from this problem.

Thanks.

Boss of Sony's gear list:Boss of Sony's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens Panasonic Lumix G Leica DG Summilux 12mm F1.4 ASPH
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow