EF 14/2.8L II, Especially On 7D II?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,998
EF 14/2.8L II, Especially On 7D II?

I would really appreciate thoughts and opinions on the EF 14L II. I have, recently, seen some very well-preserved EF 14/2.8L II lenses on the pre-owned market, at more than the previously-normal frequency. This may be due to new EF 11-24L lenses, and some of the better third-party ultra-wides, pushing them from the nests.

I used my 10-22mm EF-S at 14mm, much of the time, for a “35mm-equivalent” angle-of-view of about 22.4mm. My oft-used, much loved EF-S 10-22mm lens separated at the junction of two parts of the barrel, and may yet be repairable, though whether the repair will be cost-effective has yet to be determined. I may decide that six-plus years of frequent use has been enough for this old companion.

I have larger-sensor Canon cameras as new as a 5D IV, but my pair of 7D II cameras were my general-purpose cameras for several years, when I used them for evidentiary/forensic/crime scene photography, until my retirement, and they still “need” a job. I also still have a pair of APS-H-sensor 1D MARK II N cameras, which are not yet useless.

I really like the concept of the EF 11-24L, and it is high on my long-term wish list, but, it is quite large. The EF 14/2.8L II is relatively compact. Its size and weight make it easier to transport in a relatively small space. Unlike the 11-24L, and the EF-S 10-22mm, the EF 14L II can open to f/2.8.

Optically, I know that the 11-24L is “better” than the 14L II, but, on APS-C and APS-H cameras, that advantage may be less than is the case with full-36x24mm-frame cameras. Most of the weak points of the 14L II are away from the center, if several on-line reviews are accurate.

The size difference of these two lenses leads me to believe I could justify the eventual ownership of both a 14L II and an 11-24L. This is not a zero-sum game.

Night-time landscapes, with stars, are a factor, but so are some active subjects, so AF is desirable. This factors-out the Irix, Samyang, Zeiss, and other manual-focus UWAs.

I could used an EF-to-F-mount adapter, with an aperture-control lever, to mount my Nikkor 14-24/2.8G on a Canon body, but I do not want to risk damaging the gasket seal on the base of the lens, and, of course, there would be no AF. (I shoot with Nikon cameras, too, so yes, this whole exercise is a First-World problem.)

Thanks, again, for any thoughts, ideas, and opinions.

-- hide signature --

I wore a police badge and pistol, and made evidentiary images at night, incorporating elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, and PJ. (Retired January 2018.) I enjoy using Canon and Nikon gear.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +48 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark II N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow