Toughest 1" Compacts –Anecdotes Welcome

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
madra
madra Forum Member • Posts: 89
Toughest 1" Compacts –Anecdotes Welcome

At some stage in the next couple of months, I'm planning on getting myself a new pocketable camera –most likely one of the 1" compacts.

I'm prevaricating a bit at the minute as there are a few on my shortlist from various manufacturers [the usual suspects; Canon, Sony, Panasonic], each of which has plus and minus points. But there's one thing that's never covered in the reviews and that's "durability" [understandable seeing as the reviewers just get the camera for a few days and don't have to live with it long-term].

So, given that I don't have a lot of disposable income and whatever camera I buy is going to have to last me at least 3 - 5 years, I'd be interested in any of your personal anecdotes from ownership of things such as the Canon GX series, the Sony RX100s, the Panasonic TZs or LXs, etc. And that includes the good and the bad:

Have you got a camera that's travelled the world with you crammed into a pocket, been through all kinds of abuse, been dropped and knocked around and is still doing the business –battered but unbowed?

Alternatively:

Did you pamper your expensive compact, only to have it give up the ghost at the first sign of a bit of the outdoor life?

..or anywhere in between?

BTW –I'm aware of options like the Olympus TG5. But I think I'd prefer a fuller featured camera that happened to be fairly tough, rather than a lesser camera where the toughness compromises the functionality.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow