Old film book

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
photoaddict Contributing Member • Posts: 683
Old film book

I was at a used bookstore and there were several books on photography, many of film and published in 90's. I came across "Photography" by Barbara London and John Upton. It's an impressive book explaining the techniques from composition to processing.

It was written in early 1990's so digital cameras were not available for the mass. But it did mention digital imaging and warned that film is still a better choice - which is correct at that time - saying:

However, film is still the most common starting point for digital imaging because it is capable of recording much more information than most electronic cameras. A single 35mm film negative can record the equivalent of about 15 million pixels of information, many times more than the typical electronic camera of comparable size. That makes sharpness, color quality, and tonal range much better when you start with film.

And now we're in 2018 and modern DSLRs are far exceeding the megapixel count.

There was Kodak's Photo CD System where they scan up to 25 MP worth of details. Pros would have to send the rolls to Kodak labs and the scanners were drum scan types.

I tell you, those drum scanners are a joke. I had a few scanned and they came out worse than my flatbed scanner with film adaptor.

Anyway, we've come a long way and now we have full frame cameras with >40MP sensors which is more than a 35mm film can ever handle.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow