Sigma 105mm f/1.4 Art Lens Testing

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
t_wade Contributing Member • Posts: 973
Sigma 105mm f/1.4 Art Lens Testing

To all,

I was very interested in how this lens would perform from an astrophotography perspective so I rented one. It is a very impressive lens on just about all fronts. The only disadvantage is it's weight. It is the best lens I've ever tested from a wide-open perspective. For those who use an APS-C camera, there is absolutely no reason to stop down with this lens. The vignetting is minimal and the stars are practically pinpoint from center to corner. For those who use full frame, you'll have to stop down to around f/2.0 to help with vignetting and lens aberrations. For perfect stars, you'll have to stop down to f/2.8. I'll definitely be using it during the Perseids and pointing it near the radiant. I'll only stop down slightly to f/1.6 to improve vignetting, but really the sagittal astigmatism is very well corrected even wide-open. In summary, you will not be disappointed with this lens from an astrophotography perspective. I have included a couple of full resolution images to browse through.

Wade

Sigma 105mm f/1.4 Art at f/1.4 (wide-open)

Sigma 105mm f/1.4 Art at f/2.0

Sigma 105mm f/1.4 Art at f/2.8

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow