Acadia N.P., Mars rising

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 35,258
Acadia N.P., Mars rising

I missed two v.clear nights for the Milky Way when we arrived upstate before we departed for Bar Harbor, ME. I wasn't up for staying up for the night sky at the property, but the weather report showed clear skies due for our time in Maine.

On the first night I was bummed for not having faster than an f/4 wide angle in my bag [forehead smack!]. There was a lot of auto activity along the shoreline drive, the lights of which ruined quite a few exposures. I played with 15s exposures for the sky, and took longer exposures for the ground, and even tried some light painting. None of which worked out as I thought. But after the initial review letdown, I ended up taking a few of those ruined images, and developed the best parts of each and masked them for layering in PS. It's been a while since I've used PS like this, as it should/could be used - I lost a lot of PS chops due to lack of use. The motivation was - the darkest sky on the East Coast, a perfect night. . . MAKE something decent out of it, man!

. Meteorite was part of the exposure for the sky (not superimposed [g]).

Well, it so happened I talked my wife into coming along to give it another go on our last night, using the Laowa 9/2.8 (despite her exhaustion, and my obvious lying about not being too tired). She got a 2nd wind, and we had a great time stumbling over boulders and settling down in the dark. She's great, BTW. Just saying, 'cause it should be said. But I digress. . .

This time I took a lot of varied exposures to utilize in layers again, this time was more ambitious with trying to paint the shoreline with light. On the first night we had some flashlight flashes back from way down the point - we weren't sure if it was a hello or a 'turn off your light, dude' response from other photographers, so I stopped.

Back in our room, again exposures seemed too dull. There was slight bit of haze off the water, maybe it was that - as dark as it was, the LCD even turned down was deceptively bright. I tried to do something with this single exposure before I hit the sack, as the morning held an 8 hour drive back home for us. The f/g is more watercolor/graphic than photographic (for being pushed), and I couldn't seem to give the sky more contrast at the time - but I've got more assets to develop (and I'm back in a better developing environment [g]). Fair warning, there may be more to come.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
http://www.bobtullis.com

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow