Crowding Issues in Arches and Canyonlands

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bflood Senior Member • Posts: 1,746
Crowding Issues in Arches and Canyonlands

I have been doing some planning for a midweek visit to Arches and Canyonlands. In doing so, I looked at the Park Service web sites, and they paint a bleak picture of park overcrowding, unavailable parking, etc all the way through mid-October. I am looking at a trip the first week of October, always intending to avoid weekends because of the crowds.

I would appreciate hearing some actual experience with these parks at that time of year. Do the parks get as crowded as advertised? Arches warns of sitting in line at the entrance for 30 minutes or more to get in, and parking lots full all day throughout the park. This would get me to abandon the October plan and maybe look at January or February.

Other pertinent information: I live in Las Vegas and have been to almost all other parks in Utah, most of them many times. I will not have a high ground clearance vehicle, so my interest will be only in paved or well-maintained gravel rounds.

bflood's gear list:bflood's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow