E-M1 at Fairford airshow

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dutch Newchurch
Dutch Newchurch Senior Member • Posts: 5,351
E-M1 at Fairford airshow

I've never really trusted autofocus, particularly not CAF. I've recently replaced my E-M5i with an E-M1i and have already found it a better tool for airshows. I thought I'd experiment with CAF and see if I could get any success with it.

Anyway, I was quite pleased with this shot. The main formation of the Italian national aerobatic team (the impressive Frecce Tricolori) had just passed the crowd line, laying a smoke trail in green, white and red. Then this solo MB-339 came past from the left, rolling through the smoke. Using CAF + tracking, the E-M1 caught it and held it for the whole pass, from left to right; nine seconds in total.

And that was despite my having teamed it with the Panasonic 100-300mm, which I've always regarded as slow to focus.

Frecce Tricolori

I understand Trevor Carpenter was there too - I'm looking forward to seeing your shots Trevor!

-- hide signature --

Dutch
forestmoonstudio.co.uk
My DP Review gallery
Photography is about light, not light-proof boxes.

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow