Panasonic Lumix G9 as a step up from Sony RX100 IV?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zedsdead01 New Member • Posts: 9
Panasonic Lumix G9 as a step up from Sony RX100 IV?

So my Sony RX100 IV died recently as a result of getting a little bit wet when shooting photos on holiday. I really enjoyed using this camera mainly because of how much it offered despite its small form factor. However, limited zoom range and inability to obtain strongly blurred background were the limitations that I was noticing the most. It was good to be able to have it near me most of the time but on the other hand sometimes I didn't see a point of using it instead of my Google Pixel phone. Shortly after it died I was doing animal and birds watching and I really enjoyed it. I regretted so much that I didn't have any proper camera on me that I started thinking that maybe I should buy a more capable camera. My first thought was to buy the newest RX100 VI mainly because it now has much stronger zoom and even faster autoficau and burst mode. I then realised that it came at the cost of narrower aperture which would make obtaining blurred background even harder and I guess also low light capabilities wouldn't be as good anymore. So I searched further and I came across Panasonic Lumix G9. On paper it has got everything I could ever need: stabilization, fast auto-focus, rotating screen, great viewfinder, 4K 60FPS video, it's weather sealed and maybe most importantly because it has interchangeable lenses, it would give me some flexibility depending on how my adventure with photography develops. As you have probably guessed so far I am by no means and advanced photographer. I do however have a very practical, engineering mind and I do understand how manual controls work and depend on each other and I try to use them whenever I have a chance and time. I read that G9 is apparently very ergonomic and intuitive (unlike Sony cameras) therefore I thought that it might be a good choice for me as well. I am simply wondering if this camera is not an overkill for me. I do have tendency to get excited about things that are "latest and greatest" just to discover later that I didn't really need some of the features. That's why I thought I would consult it with the community first. I don't really mind the cost of G9, I just want to make sure that if I end up spending that much money it will be a noticeable step up from RX100 IV. I will be grateful for any advice.

ANSWER:
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 IV Sony RX100 V Sony RX100 VI
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow