***NEED ADVICE... I totall got scammed at Best Buy WRONG CAMERA IN BOX

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
josholand Junior Member • Posts: 38
***NEED ADVICE... I totall got scammed at Best Buy WRONG CAMERA IN BOX

Hey guys sorry for my CAPS screaming out for attention.... I'm desperate for any help anybody can give me.  I don't want to draw this story out so I will try to just be brief enough and to the point.

Yesterday 7/13/2018 I purchased the camera I really wanted.. .     RX100VI   (the mark 6 version)  for $1,200 dollars + tax / accessories...    So spend OVER $1,300 dollars at Best Buy.   I was there with my friend and after the purchase we left the store, got coffee and I dropped him off at home.  Before he got out of my car I wanted to open the camera and check it out.   He and I both were in shock once we pulled it out and had to keep confirming it was really not the mark 6 version.    The camera in the Mark VI box was the Mark V verion (Mark 5)   Obviously anyone who knows about this camera knows I wanted the mark 6 and the mark 5 doesn't have the features I was after so that's definitely not the camera I wanted  (even though still good)

I returned to Best Buy and after I told them what happened they took their time trying to figure it out.... and then they told me ultimately that they won't refund or return it because the camera's serial number doesn't match the one on the box.   The camera had the Mark VI tag dangling off of it.... but it's the Mark V camera.   They kept saying 'you need to look at it from our perspective.... you left the store and now are trying to return a camera that isn't the same camera's serial # that is one the box.    They kept saying that and sent me on my way.  (they kept telling me I needed to contact Sony over that error)       I was furious and still am.

Now what do i do????    I wanted to dispute the charge with my bank and as I was doing so yesterday the guy on the phone with my Bank  'schools first credit union'   said   'master card probably will favor the retailer in this case because the camera serial number doesn't match the boxes serial number'        I stopped the dispute process and told him I will call back to dispute once I have asked for advice..

I called Sony and the technician there was very upset for me....  i gave him both serial numbers... the box and the devices...     he is going to open an 'investigation' on Monday when that department is back in the office.    I have called Best Buy's 800 number with no luck... they say they can't do anything and I have to go to the store.   I went back to the store last night as the Sony rep told me I should and see if they can check the cameras to see if there was a switch at all..    My sales rep had an hour to do something shady if he wanted to..... since I went into the store saying I wanted 1 of the 2 RX100VI's they had left in stock.... I told him I would be back in an hour to buy it..   I came back with my friend and did so...     UGHHHHHH

PLEASE HELP WITH ANY IDEAS....    and thank you so much.   I am extremely frustrated and sad over the matter....    My plan thus far is to keep in contact with Sony...    I will keep the product in the condition I received it and I won't use it.  I still plan on disputing the charge with my bank but don't know if I should dispute it right away with the information I have now or wait a little bit to gain more evidence and more of a story on what I have done to try and make this right before the dispute...     Also I know I could take Best Buy to small claims court....    (i just don't have that experience... would best buy see me there and I still have no case?)      This is a HORRIBLE situation.   I couldn't even sell this MARK V   as a brand new one since I have a MARK VI box.

Thank you

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow