The fallacy of FPS repetition-charging Brown Bear

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
doonie Senior Member • Posts: 1,451
The fallacy of FPS repetition-charging Brown Bear

I often hear arguments for and against faster FPS. Some like to refer to this as "spray and pray". Those who use this function of the camera, myself included, look at it as another tool to increase the probability of getting the shot you hope for. Others prefer to "pick" their shot and decide when they want to press the shutter and hope to get it right. Maybe this could be called "not spray but still pray". Either way, whatever works for you.

But the part of the argument I'd like to dismiss here is the notion that by jamming your finger on the shutter you end up with too many similar images to go through and it's not worth the wear and tear on the body. I don't know about 14 or 16 FPS, but I don't believe that's the case with 10 FPS.

Of course, all this depends on the speed of the subject and the action taking place. I have another post on this topic that depicts a fishing eagle at 10 FPS. Clearly, the subsequent images are not even close to similar.

So here's another example; a Coastal Brown Bear that was being chased by an older female, passing way too uncomfortably close. I feel I got 3 keepers out of this series, #2, #3, and #8. Would I have gotten more or less by choosing exactly when to press the shutter one click at a time ? Who knows. But considering this all happened in 1 second, a very tough task. Personally, while I wouldn't print most of these, I'm still very glad to have every one of them.

Uncropped, poorly framed in camera, just downsized.

Another example to come...

doonie's gear list:doonie's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D3400 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
NNL
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow