Depth of field question- Crop / Full Frame

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Pixel Pooper Senior Member • Posts: 2,734
Re: Depth of field question- Crop / Full Frame

Pk8887 wrote:

That is a help and thank you for taking the time. I guess in practical sense what I'm after is the type of background separation you would get from 70-200mm on a full frame without having to lug one around.

I'm currently using 5Dmkii and 240105 but its f4 so I'm not really isolating the subjects in the way I like. To me my options are the 70-200 2.8 which is too heavy, going down the prime route which I would rather avoid as its much more convenient to have a zoom...or to find a crop solution. So would a crop camera and say a sigma 2.8 50135 give me the same opportunity for background separation?

No, it won't. The 50-135mm f/2.8 will behave exactly like a 75-200mm f/4.2 on full frame for field of view, DOF, and background blur. The only crop solution is to use an f/1.8 lens which will usually be a prime.

I'm generally working at the 105mm end of the 24-105 at the moment so a little more reach would be great but my real focus is the ability to separate the subject from background.

Just to add I should have been more specific when talking about look I don't really mean 'exact field of view'. In the most basic sense I want a lens/camera option that is hopefully a zoom that allows me to blur the background (like a 70-200mm 2.8) when photographing athletes and it should be longer than 100mm.

If you want smaller size you have to accept smaller apertures which means giving up some of the larger system's capabilities.

Pixel Pooper's gear list:Pixel Pooper's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
MOD Footski
Bob
Bob
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow