Just FYI: Panasonic voids warranty if you sell lens from a kit

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
JakeJY Senior Member • Posts: 2,200
Re: Just FYI: Panasonic voids warranty if you sell lens from a kit

wolfychi wrote:

JakeJY wrote:

wolfychi wrote:

Just a thought.

Maybe this has something to do similar to the lens repair service policy recently, where they will replace the product with a refurbished product instead of repairing what you have send in, that's why they need the package/box including the kit lens as a whole, so they can repair the lens/camera to re-use it as a refurbish product for the next customer.

I believe that line had always been in their warranty. I googled a bit and found a manual from 2010 and the warranty section on page 31 has a similar statement:

"When shipping the unit, carefully pack, include all accessories, and send it prepaid, adequately insured and preferably in the original carton."

https://panasonic.encompass.com/shop/model_research_docs/?file=/MSC/om/DMCZR3.pdf

It don't think there is much of a practical difference between if you sent in used accessories and they send a refurb with refurb accessories back to you or if you don't send in accessories in which case they just include the refurb accessories if they sell it as a refurb after repair.

That link was about the compact point and shoot camera, in the OP's case, I asume it is a bit more complicated with a detachable lens, where tradionally consumers would treated as a separate product.

So my take on this is Panasonic has treated the kit lens as an integral part of the whole camera, detachable or not, so if the lens is missing, they can not re-use as a refurbished package, just maybe.

Here's the manual for the GF2 (with 14-42 kit lens), page 52. This is also from 2010.

"When shipping the unit, carefully pack, include all accessories, and send it prepaid, adequately insured and preferably in the original carton."

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/camera/om/dmc-gf2_en_om.pdf

As i say, it's a generic line in their warranty. I think people are reading a bit too much into it. At any rate, the warranty does not lay out any consequences for not sending in all the accessories nor have people previously had problems when they did not.

JakeJY's gear list:JakeJY's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S9300 Nikon D5000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow