An Optometrist's view of Bokeh

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fredflintstone Regular Member • Posts: 458
An Optometrist's view of Bokeh

Just thought I would share this story with the you.  Make of it what you will.

I went to an optometrist to get some new glasses.  First time I had seen this particular guy.  He was very professional and I am very happy with my new glasses, at a very decent price.

Near the end of the exam, he was taking a picture of my retinas, and he proudly mentioned that the instrument he was using was made by Leica.  Then he mentioned that he had done some shopping for a camera to use for photographing his children.  I would estimate he was about 35 years old.  He said that he looked into the Sony cameras, and that they had a model that had 42 megapixels, and that photos he had seen from it had most of the pixels just producing blur, with only a small portion producing a sharp result.  I would assume he was looking at portraits.  In his opinion, all of the pixels should be used to produce as sharp an image as possible!

I like a nice blurred background, but hate the 'one eye in focus', paper thin DOF of a f/1.4 lens used wide open that so many photographers think is a sign of photographic 'talent'.  So here is a guy that puts all his effort into giving people sharp vision, and to him a good photo has all the pixels in sharp focus.  So after looking into buying an expensive camera, he said he would stick with his cell phone to take shots of his kids.

-- hide signature --

Stone Age (former film) Photographer.
Yabadabado!

fredflintstone's gear list:fredflintstone's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow