Depth of field question- Crop / Full Frame

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 58,615
Re: Depth of field question- Crop / Full Frame

Pk8887 wrote:

The dof calculator that someone kindly put earlier in the thread to my eyes seemed to suggest the dof would be very shallow with the Sigma you mentioned? Would you go along with that?

It shouldn't be noticeably shallower than the Tokina. Over the range 50-135, it's obviously going to be the same, the Sigma just goes 15mm further. Compared to FF, the Tokina is equivalent to a 75-200/4.2 whilst the Sigma is equivalent to a 75-225/4.2. Unsurprisingly, they do the same job pretty much as a 70-200/4, and are about the same size

(the later Sigma with VR was huge, and whilst a very good lens, impracticable for that reason). The main advantage of the Sigma over the Tokina is that the latter has big flare issues.

I had the same idea about primes as you but I think the convenience of a zoom for this type of photography would be huge.

And so is the lens! There really is no way to square that particular circle. The same shallowness of DOF results in the same size lens (give or take a bit), whatever the format.

-- hide signature --

Ride easy, William.
Bob

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
MOD Footski
Bob
Bob
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow