Question about DPI usage when resizing images

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 17,555
Re: All of these responses have been quite interesting...

Ben Herrmann wrote:

...and it only goes to show you that for quite a few folks, DPI is often misunderstand. I know it was for me and I'm no amateur - but then I rarely print anymore.

Worked in print media for 35 years. DPI was for the presses. Now here it made a huge difference and you had to apply the write amount to get the best quality for the type of press. Dot gain was something pre press had to compensate for as well and the press operators had to control it by setting up everything properly and maintaining the condition of the press which involved the maintenance department at times..

On printing presses they had to fine tune DPI and Dot Gain depending on type of stock - news or coated and type of ink.

LR offers export options for screen and print (matt or glossy). Before LR using PS you had to over sharpen for print media and type. Sharpen for screen. LR does this for you and I over the last few years I have really learned to appreciated it. I use DXO PL for select files but still export to LR for final export.

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,
Bernd ("Ben") Herrmann
Fuquay Varina, North Carolina USA

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow