ON1 Photo RAW 2018.5 Quirks

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fPrime
fPrime Senior Member • Posts: 2,479
ON1 Photo RAW 2018.5 Quirks

So I've been testing the trial version of ON1 Photo RAW 2018.5 and generally like the output I can quickly pull out of it compared to Lightroom. Like any RAW converter, however, I'm also noticing some quirks and wondering if anyone has found these as well.

The biggest concern I have is that ON1 seems to eat fine color detail that Lr preserves. Take this D700 image, for example:

ON1

Lr

On first blush they reflect the bias of their RAW engines in auto mode to either have a high white point (Lr) or filled-in shadow detail (ON1). But if we ignore these auto exposure biases and zoom into the sign on the doorway we can also see that ON1 renders the lettering more cleanly:

ON1

Lr

Lightroom's demosaicing engine definitely shows a lot of residual color fringing here.

But when we look at fine color detail in the rotunda on the far left it seems ON1 de-saturated some tonal separation in the roof border despite some residual CA:

ON1

Lr

The same is evident looking at the shrub flowers and foliage:

ON1

Lr

The rich variance of brown, green, and yellow tones is just missing in ON1 at 100%.

Normally when fine color detail is blurred or de-saturated I turn off likely color culprits such as color noise reduction, color fringing removal, moire removal, and over-sharpening. But in ON1 color noise reduction was set to zero, the fringing sliders were off, moire control is unavailable, and sharpening was zero. I can only guess that there's some aggressive color noise removal operating by default in ON1 regardless of what the sliders show.

Does anyone else see what I'm seeing with regard to fine color detail for ON1? Could there be a develop setting I've overlooked? I really like some of the tonal rendering I get from ON1 which often appears to render my RAW's with greater bite/pop than Lr. But this color quirk is baffling.

There are other basic things missing from ON1 as well such as no UI support for higher-resolution monitors, no hardware support for moving sliders with the mouse wheel, no ability for ON1 to auto-select the correct slider values one at a time (only all sliders as a batch), no toggle for CA removal (instead simply taking it out automatically by default - but still not as thoroughly in the corners as Lr), no ability to leave in both the lens vignette and distortion in the conversion (as turning on lens corrections to turn off vignetting correction automatically fixes distortion).

fPrime

-- hide signature --

Half of my heart is a shotgun wedding to a bride with a paper ring,
And half of my heart is the part of a man who's never truly loved anything.

fPrime's gear list:fPrime's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D700
Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow